PHOTO IS:RAEL is a non-profit public benefit company. Founded in 2012, we work to fulfill our
goal of a “better society through the language of photography” by promoting social outreach and
a dialogue between art and various communities across Israel. Since its formation, the company
has offered platforms for exhibition and research and has spotlighted artistic and social topics
through the language of photography.
We believe photography is a universal language which transcends cultural and gendered
boundaries and is understandable to all. It is a language which bridges the gap between the
central and the marginal and between disenfranchised communities and the public at large.
PHOTO IS:REAL began its activity in 2012 as a public benefit company (PBC).
Our Website >> photoisrael.org a wide range of bodies and activities pertaining to education and culture in Israel and abroad. The fund was established by the late Zvi Meitar, an Israeli lawyer and business man and a keen collector and lover of the arts.
The “Meitar Collection” archive which includes more than 150,000 negatives was established by Mr. Meitar, who began to collect photographs prompted by his interest in the history of the Land of Israel. Photographers from the archive who worked in Israel prior to and after the establishment of the State are Boris Carmi, Beno Rothenberg, and Moshe Levine http://meitarcollection.co.il/
The private archive preserves and catalogs photographs and puts them at the disposal of museums, publications, and producers
ISRAELI CAUSES AND PROJECTS
- Zvi Meitar Center for Advanced Law Studies at the Tel Aviv University Law Faculty
- Institute for Law and Philanthropy (ILP) at Tel Aviv University Law Faculty
- Meitar Opera Studio at the Israeli Opera
- Nagar Multidisciplinary School of Art, Musrara, Jerusalem
- Zvi Meitar Institute for Legal Implications of merging Technologies in the Herzliya Interdisciplinary Center
UK CAUSES AND PROJECTS
- The Royal Albert Hall, London
- National Maritime Museum, Greenwich
- Magdalen College, Oxford
- Oxford University Chancellor’s Court of Benefactors
- Oxford University Women’s Boat Club
- Ashmolean Museum
- Bodleian Libraries
- Oxford Philharmonic
US CAUSES AND PROJECTS
- Metropolitan Opera